Maybe the grass can be greener.

At the beginning of the year, I posted about a shift on another ward and how I was so relieved to return to my own ward, how I felt out of my comfort zone, how the grass isn't always greener elsewhere! However, in the past fortnight I have worked two shifts on a different ward to my usual and have LOVED it.

So what was different?

Firstly, people introduced themselves. It seems so simple - but knowing peoples names makes you feel part of the team. I honestly think it should be compulsory for all healthcare workers to wear a visible name badge. If it's hard as a member of staff in a strange environment, I cannot imagine how daunting it must be for patients, particularly when then staff change from shift to shift.

Secondly, back in January, I was very much in a honeymoon period regarding my job. My enthusiasm was boundless and I thought my ward was faultless. 9 months down the line and I have matured in my role and also come to the realisation that no ward is perfect - we are the NHS after all! Recently, life at work has been pretty tough so I relished the opportunity to experience working somewhere else.

And then you have the patients. I was given a proper handover (something that lacked on my previous experience of working elsewhere). This felt so important when working in an unfamiliar environment as it gave me a sheet of paper to keep referring back to. The layout of this particular handover also identified how a patient mobilised which is something that can be difficult to ascertain otherwise. I wasn't familiar with many of the presenting complaints, however, I used it as a good learning opportunity rather than becoming overwhelmed.

On this day, I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with a lady who has dementia. Back in January the prospect of this would have petrified me whereas this time? I embraced it, enjoyed it and even received some pretty amazing feedback for the work I did with her! It was handed over that this particular patient was barely eating or drinking and was not taking her medications. During my shift, I got her to eat 2 small meals and take some medications. It took time, a lot of reassurance and coaxing but she did it. I left that day with a huge sense of achievement and job satisfaction.

And I think that is what it comes down to. I am more confident in my role and felt valued by the team I was working with. These two combined aspects lead to an incredibly rewarding shift. I'm hoping I can take some the enthusiasm back to my usual ward.It also makes me excited for when I begin my training and will have opportunity to experience many different learning opportunities. February cannot come soon enough!

TTFN x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"So I cry out with all that I have left"

Breaking the Silence: EDAW 2012

Caring for the Broken-hearted - Part 1