Diagnonsense: Two Years On

A year ago:

The year since diagnosis has been crazy, overwhelming, liberating and full of anger, despair, happiness and hope. It's been such a mixture but I stand here a year on, stronger than a year ago and ready for yet another year of progress (with the inevitable relapses and flares...).

And in all honesty, the past year has been more of the same.

I have started a new job, successfully applied to University, moved house, made new friends, seen West End shows, travelled to new cities, been part of various medical teams, seen a cousin and many friends get married. There have been so many highs, yet there's still the lows, the anger, the despair and hopelessness that comes with chronic illness.

In the past year, I have learned so much and have really started to manage my health, rather than letting it manage me. I am properly compliant with my medications (most of the time) and I am far more aware of my relapse triggers. I am not any better than I was this time last year, however, I am managing it better and that's what makes the difference.

I've just got back from two weeks serving at Soul Survivor and in many ways it has been my toughest Soul experience in nearly 10 years of going. I've felt distant in worship, I've struggled with pain and feeling pretty grotty, I've been tearful and fragile and most of that is purely down to my physical health. It upsets and frustrates me. Yet it is still such a privilege to serve young people and watch them worship and meet with Jesus.

I have yet another chest infection. Can't seem to make it more than 6 weeks without antibiotics this year. We think my chest is rubbish because my reflux is so bad (hey acid, meet lungs) but it still sucks. In many ways, this infection is self inflicted. Camping meant laying flat at night rather than tilted. It also involved badness like fizzy drinks that I am usually very good at avoiding. 

In happy (or slightly insane...) news...I am chucking myself in the Thames this coming weekend to raise money for STARS. It's only a mile swim, but that is a mile further than I could possibly have contemplated last year. I get to wear this attractive hat...


I've already made my fundraising target of £150.00 but anything you fancy giving on top of that would be SO appreciated! You can support me on https://www.justgiving.com/laurawizadora or via JustTextGiving by texting LPAR92 £AMOUNT to 70070

TTFN x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"So I cry out with all that I have left"

Breaking the Silence: EDAW 2012

Caring for the Broken-hearted - Part 1