Reasons to love my job.

My first two shifts of 2014 have been challenging. Same story that is repeated in hospitals all over the country, not enough staff, too many patients. I like to give my best to my patients and it makes me frustrated when I can't do that. It's the "little things" that get missed when we're busy - the aqueous cream on someone's dry feet, the shower over a wash, the hair wash and French plait for a woman who normally takes great pride in her looks - the things that aren't "necessary" but make a patient feel good!

In the past 2 days I changed incontinent patients 12 times (and that's just the bedbound ones...), I am bruised from where a scared patient grabbed my hand and arm so tightly, I didn't do lots of my HCA jobs - stuff like checking the sharps bins aren't full - because there just wasn't time. Yesterday, I didn't pee for my entire shift and came home incredibly dehydrated - because there just wasn't time. I had 18 patients and was run off my feet trying to do my best for as many of them as possible but there just aren't enough hours in the day. I emptied countless stoma bags, catheter bags, NG bags..did blood pressures, pulse rates, blood sugars, temperatures, fed those who are too weak to do it for themselves. I repositioned those at risk of pressure damage, made sure people were washed and had fresh bedding. I did not stop all shift, I gave my all and still I left feeling I had not done enough.

However, even on the challenging days...I still can find a million reasons why I love my job.

1. Soothing scared and agitated dementia patients. Working out what works for them - music on the radio, stroking their hair, holding their hand and shushing. The moment when they fall into a peaceful sleep and your realise it's a job well done.

2. The friendly, slightly muddled patients who are overwhelmed that you might care about them, that you might not have written them off as a lost cause.

3. The patients with incredible life stories - a holocaust survivor, those who've travelled the world and those who just love their life and live it to the fullest.

4. The poorly patients who get better. The patient who was bed bound, on oxygen, struggling to breath or cough because of the pain, weak from lack of nutrition - who with time and our care, start to mobilise, start to eat, start to work towards going home. Working on such a big ward I often work with some of our long term patients and then don't see them for a while. It's always so rewarding to see the improvements they make.

5. The team I work with. I honestly could not ask for a better ward to have started my healthcare career on. I am incredibly blessed by the team I currently work with - they are dedicated, caring, compassionate, supportive, encouraging and a good laugh outside of work too. 

6. End of life care. I flippin' love palliative care, the Liverpool Care Pathway and every aspect of giving patients dignity as they near the end. The days right at the end of someone's life are so very precious - the bonds built with the friends and relatives, with the patient whilst they are still lucid.

7. Relationships with the patients, full stop. Obviously...I'm not referring to a romantic or personal relationship but the caring, compassionate one which is developed when you care for people. I love talking to people, I love giving people the time they need.

So that's only 7...but there are so many reasons I cannot articulate. Even on the rubbish days, where I'm brought to tears, I still love my job. Making a difference, each and every shift - no matter how small.

The care I give matters. I may be "just" a healthcare assistant right now, but I take pride in my job, I give my patients my all and I hope I make a difference.  In many ways I will be so incredibly sad to leave my job as an HCA to embark on my nursing degree, but I hope I will love nursing just as much as I love being an HCA.

Comments

  1. What a brilliant post and blog in general! I am so glad I found it and I'm astounded at how much we have in common. I spent a long time pushing myself to be a primary teacher, almost completed the training and then woke up to the fact that it wasn't for me. And now I'm a student nurse. I can't wait to read more of your blog. Hope you're well and 2014 is being kind to you thus far :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment! Have popped over to your blog and look forward to following your journey through your degree :-) funny...I know a few teachers who've gone from teaching - nursing. Guess both require a special type of person hey?! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"So I cry out with all that I have left"

Breaking the Silence: EDAW 2012

Caring for the Broken-hearted - Part 1